Full Stack Web Developer (Ruby on Rails)
Atlas Obscura makes products that encourage millions of people to discover the world's most amazing places and experiences. Come join a company committed to building things that make our lives more interesting, exciting, and connected with the wonders of our world!
In this role, you'll be a key member of the engineering team, working to improve and extend our existing Rails-based web software and APIs, and to build out new features and products, all while maintaining a focus on app performance and high-quality code standards.
This role will report to the Head of Engineering while working closely with our entire Product team. As a remote-first company, you can work for Atlas Obscura from anywhere within the continental United States or Canada.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Writing Ruby code in our existing server-rendered Ruby on Rails web app to continually improve and extend the experience for both our community members and internal customers
- Building Rails-based API endpoints to support our native mobile applications
- Working with complex data models in PostgreSQL that drive a wide variety of features across our applications
- Writing tests in RSpec and maintaining high-quality production-ready code
- Deploying frequently to Heroku, with a stack that includes Rails, Postgres/PostGIS, Memcached, Redis, and Elasticsearch
- Collaborating across the entire company, with a shared focus on giving Atlas Obscura members the most fun and interesting experiences we can
What We're Looking For:
- At least 3 years experience in professional web development
- At least 2 years experience working with an MVC app framework in production, preferably Ruby on Rails
- Knowledge (or a passion for learning) modern web software practices: Git workflows, CI/CD, devops, web components, ES6, websockets, advanced CSS features, etc.
- Experience building and maintaining APIs that serve multiple platforms
- Excellent communication skills with your fellow engineers and non-technical colleagues
- The ability to solve complex problems, and the wisdom to know when simple solutions may be best
- The desire to keep learning, because it’s useful and because it’s fun!
- A passion for Atlas Obscura’s mission of discovery and wonder
Compensation is competitive and includes equity. Benefits for full-time employees include family health, dental, and vision plans and a generous vacation policy. At Atlas Obscura we believe exploration is for everyone and encourage diverse applicants. We are committed to an equitable hiring process and an inclusive work environment.
About Atlas Obscura
Atlas Obscura is an award-winning travel company founded in 2009. Widely celebrated for building the definitive, community-driven guide to the world's hidden wonders, the company also offers unique online and in-person experiences, produces once-in-a-lifetime trips, and has published two New York Times bestselling books with more than a million copies in print. Atlas Obscura has been nominated for three National Magazine Awards, a James Beard Award, three Webby Awards, and in 2020 was named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing companies. Having raised a $20M, Series B led by Airbnb last summer, Atlas Obscura is well-positioned for growth.